English language tests for private hire drivers
Transport for London (TfL) announced in 2016 that all new applicants, and existing private hire drivers applying to renew their licence for the first time since the introduction of this requirement, must meet the B1 English language requirement.
Trinity’s ISE I Secure English Language Test (SELT) has been approved by TfL for this purpose – full details and how to book this exam are detailed below.
Trinity SELT qualifications are also approved by UKVI for British Citizenship, Settlement and visa applications. This means that the ISE I (B1) SELT can also be used for applications for:
- British Citizenship (Naturalisation)
- Further Leave to Remain
- Indefinite Leave to Remain
- Tier 1, 2 and 4 visas
ISE: Integrated Skills in English I (B1) SELT
Prepare for your test
Visit Learning support resources for private hire drivers to find guidance and preparation activities to help you understand and practise for this test.
|Learning support resources||SELT preparation courses|
Book your test
Only ISE (B1) tests taken at a SELT centre are approved by TfL for private hire driver licence applications.
|Book London Croydon||Book London Hammersmith||Book London Holborn|
Take with you to the test
- You must take proof of identity (ID) to the SELT test centre. Please read Trinity’s SELT Centre Candidate ID policy
- Remember to download and complete a Topic Form to take to the test for discussion with the examiner.
Results and certificates
When you get your results for ISE, you receive:
- a certificate if you passed both parts of the test
- a diagnostic report for each skill showing how you performed in the test
Candidates who pass both parts of their ISE SELT test usually receive their certificate within 21 days.
Visit our Understanding your ISE I (B1) results page for:
- Information if you pass or fail
- Understanding your diagnostic report
- ISE scoring information
- How to improve your skills if you have failed
What do CEFR, SELT and ISE mean?
- CEFR = Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- SELT = Secure English Language Test
- ISE = Integrated Skills in English
- TfL = Transport for London